Go Back   The Mustang Collective Forums > Mustang Tech > NewEdge 4.6L Tech

Anyone know anything about the SVO intake...google doesn't seem to.
Old
  (#1)
05 StangGuy
14-Second Member
05 StangGuy is working on being a goody goody.

Anyone know anything about the SVO intake...google doesn't seem to. - 03-29-2014

I just did my PI swap a while ago, when someone offered me the apparently rare SVO intake.

Now I don't know if I'd spring for it...mainly because I can't find any hard info on it. So I'm hoping someone here will have some.

Just curious if aside from rarity, if it's worth $400 for the whole install set.

2006 Mustang GT OBX Longtubes, O/R H, Pype Bombs, Bama Tuned

2003 Mustang GT (direct trade for 06 GT) O/R H, Straight Pipes

2006 Mustang GT (Sold)SSS Terminators

1996 Mustang GT(Traded in) O/R H Magnapacks

2005 Mustang (Sold) SCT BAMA 91 RACE TUNE, JLT NEXT GEN CAI, M2 SHORTY HEADERS, HOMEMADE H PIPE DUALS WITH SLP LOUDMOUTHS

2006 Mustang GT (KIA by wife) Jlt Series 3 CAI, Pypes O/R H Pipe, SSS Terminators, FRRP 4.10s, SCT BAMA Tuned.

1997 Mustang GT(SOLD) 2001 5.4 Swapped, Modified Pypes O/R X Pipe, SLP LM II, Pro 5.0 Shifter, Airraid CAI, SCT BAMA Tuned

1989 Mustang GT (KIA)
Far too many parts to list.

2009 Mustang (SOLD)
X Charged 2.8 Hi-Po, Pacesetter LTs, Modded GT H Pipe, Flowmaster ATs, Shaftmaster Aluminum DS, FRRP T-Lok/4.10s, SCT Tuned by DOUG*BamaChips*

Old
  (#2)
RedfirePony
InSaNeLy FaSt Member
RedfirePony is a jewel in the rough, yeah right!RedfirePony is a jewel in the rough, yeah right!

04-05-2014

The SVO intake and cylinder heads are no longer in production and no longer appear n the Ford Racing Catalog. The heads and intake were released in 1998 and were to be used on the poor breathing non- PI '96 thru '98 2 valve 4.6. The intake was a long runner intake made of cast aluminum rather than the composite material of the production 4.6. It utilized a two throat throttle body and closely resembles the cast aluminum intake used on the 2001 Bullitt Mustang. THE SVO INTAKE WILL NOT WORK WITH THE PI HEADS USED ON THE '99 THRU '04 MUSTANG DUE TO AN INTAKE PORT MISMATCH.

The SVO heads are best flowing production 2-valve head with better flow numbers than the PI heads. Again these heads are no longer available. The non PI heads had the valves moved to the outer extreme of the combustion chambers creating shrouding by the cylinder walls when the valves were opened. There was also a small finger like wall cast into the combustion chamber surrounding the intake valve to induce swirl. This was further reduced intake flow. The non PI heads flowed poorly both on the exhaust and intake side.

The SVO heads moved both valves closer to the center of the combustion chamber and the wall in front of the intake valve was removed to un-shround the valves and increase flow. Both valves in the SVO heads were larger than in the Non PI head. Intakes were 46.83 mm and the exhaust were 35.88. The combustion chamber size was 51 CC non PI, 42 CC PI, and 53 CC SVO.

The SVO head out flowed both the non PI and PI heads at all levels of valve lift. Intake valve lift at .05" lift was 25 cfm non PI; 25 cfm PI and 27 cfm SVO. Flow at .600" was 166 cfm non PI; 160 cfm PI; and 206 cfm SVO

The exhaust flow numbers at .05" were 22 cfm non PI; 24 cfm PI and 23 cfm SVO . Flow at .600" was 117 cfm non PI; 138 cfm PI; and 143 CFM SVO.

The Trick Flow 2-valve heads flow much better than the SVO head, but the SVO heads were the best available until the advent of aftermarket heads. FYI the flow numbers for the Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads for the 4.6 2 valve are 252 cfm intake and 188 cfm exhaust at .600" lift. (figures from Trick Flow's website).

The information about the SVO intake and heads comes from Sean Hyland's book "How to Build Max Performance 4.6 Liter Ford Engines". ISBN 1-884089-78-X from Car Tech Books.

Here is a link to Trick Flow's website and their intake manifold that resembles the SVO and Bullitt intakes.

http://www.trickflow.com/partdetail....2&autoview=sku

Last edited by RedfirePony; 04-05-2014 at 05:16 PM.

Old
  (#3)
Downtime!
I'm a Legend In My Lime
Downtime! is just really nice, in an annoying Ryan Seacrest sort of way.Downtime! is just really nice, in an annoying Ryan Seacrest sort of way.Downtime! is just really nice, in an annoying Ryan Seacrest sort of way.

04-05-2014

I remember that as a good alternative at the time, but there are better things now. Look at Fox Lake, and their P51 intake. It's not cheap, at $800, but it is the best intake for a 2V car. They used to make their own heads too, but it looks like they've moved over to selling Trick Flows now.

2V's used to get a bad rap in the Mustang world, but there are parts out there now that give you a good solid runner, and make the kind of power we used to think only 4V's could attain.