Go Back   The Mustang Collective Forums > Mustang Tech > S197 4.0 Tech

Old
  (#11)
MuSSle
15-Second Member
MuSSle is working on being a goody goody.

07-16-2017

Hello again!

Sorry to revive this thread, but I thought it would be better than starting a new one.

So I recently replaced almost all my ac components except sensors/switches, lines, and evaporator.

I hooked up my ac gauges after a recharge and there's definitely something weird going on.. So low side pressure seems to stay consistent, but the high side fluctuates. According to the "system pressure chart" I found online I should be reading between 25-35psi (low) and 135-155psi (high), which is exactly what happens for a couple cycles.. Then only the high side spikes up all the way to 325psi, then the radiator fans come on and the pressure drops. Any ideas on what the hell is going on!?

Btw, this is with max AC on full blast. I would appreciate the help, my ac is definitely cooler, but not working to its full potential. Thanks!

Old
  (#12)
TexasBlownV8
Formerly: TexasBlownV6
TexasBlownV8 is just really nice, in an annoying Ryan Seacrest sort of way.TexasBlownV8 is just really nice, in an annoying Ryan Seacrest sort of way.TexasBlownV8 is just really nice, in an annoying Ryan Seacrest sort of way.

07-17-2017

Is your radiator fan coming on when the a/c is on? Is it just coming on at high speed when high-side pressure gets high? You might have an issue with the low-speed radiator fan.

Otherwise, you may have a high-side restriction. Or maybe the drier, if you haven't replaced it. Could also be the orafice tube, causing restriction due to debris; IIRC, it is in the line junction somewhere on the passenger side or back near the firewall.

Mike - Three turbos, two Mustangs...do the math.

"Sally", The Beast: 2005, 5.0L V8 stroker, forged/cammed, twin-turbos; 4r70W full-auto trans, CircleD converter; Shaftmasters driveshaft; GT500 8.8 w/3.73's; VEI digital gauges, PLX widebands; full suspension.

(Formerly a V6 Automatic with Vortech SQ supercharger & custom a/a intercooler -- 310 RWHP, w/best 1/4: 12.79 @ 107)

2006 4.0L V6 with PowerHouse Turbo, TR6060.

It's not just racing...it's an obsession.
"The brawl inspires many, but few acheive greatness"; "Poop happens" - JujuFox

Old
  (#13)
MuSSle
15-Second Member

07-17-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBlownV8 View Post
Is your radiator fan coming on when the a/c is on? Is it just coming on at high speed when high-side pressure gets high? You might have an issue with the low-speed radiator fan.

Otherwise, you may have a high-side restriction. Or maybe the drier, if you haven't replaced it. Could also be the orafice tube, causing restriction due to debris; IIRC, it is in the line junction somewhere on the passenger side or back near the firewall.
Radiator fan comes on when the engine gets hot, it doesn't run all the time when the AC is on.. Only when the high side runs up to 325psi.. Which happens every 3rd cycle (it seems) of the compressor. I replaced the drier, orifice tube, condenser, and compressor.. I didn't touch the switches/sensors at all.. I have no idea what's going on..

Old
  (#14)
TexasBlownV8
Formerly: TexasBlownV6
TexasBlownV8 is just really nice, in an annoying Ryan Seacrest sort of way.TexasBlownV8 is just really nice, in an annoying Ryan Seacrest sort of way.TexasBlownV8 is just really nice, in an annoying Ryan Seacrest sort of way.

07-17-2017

There are two fan speeds, low and high. The PCM controls which speed the fan is supposed to turn on with, first with low-speed, then with high-speed as temps get higher. If low speed is not turning, it can be causing some of your issues.

Also, if you have a custom tune, the fan temps can be set in there to come on lower than stock. If you have a SCT tuner and if the setting is enabled, you can adjust the cooling fan temps.

Mike - Three turbos, two Mustangs...do the math.

"Sally", The Beast: 2005, 5.0L V8 stroker, forged/cammed, twin-turbos; 4r70W full-auto trans, CircleD converter; Shaftmasters driveshaft; GT500 8.8 w/3.73's; VEI digital gauges, PLX widebands; full suspension.

(Formerly a V6 Automatic with Vortech SQ supercharger & custom a/a intercooler -- 310 RWHP, w/best 1/4: 12.79 @ 107)

2006 4.0L V6 with PowerHouse Turbo, TR6060.

It's not just racing...it's an obsession.
"The brawl inspires many, but few acheive greatness"; "Poop happens" - JujuFox

Old
  (#15)
MuSSle
15-Second Member

07-18-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBlownV8 View Post
There are two fan speeds, low and high. The PCM controls which speed the fan is supposed to turn on with, first with low-speed, then with high-speed as temps get higher. If low speed is not turning, it can be causing some of your issues.

Also, if you have a custom tune, the fan temps can be set in there to come on lower than stock. If you have a SCT tuner and if the setting is enabled, you can adjust the cooling fan temps.
That must be the issue.. Cause I definitely only have one fan speed. I do not have a tuner, and I have no idea if the car has been tuned in the past. Not sure if Ford charges to flash a PCM, but I need to go in at some point for the air bag safety recall anyways..