Go Back   The Mustang Collective Forums > Mustang Tech > Motor Swaps

4.6 swap problems
Old
  (#1)
EastKentuckyMustang
EastKentuckyMustang is working on being a goody goody.

Exclamation 4.6 swap problems - 04-12-2017

I've talking to Mike about this for the past couple of days, so I may forget some details while typing this out. So, long story short, I did the swap and when I got to loading my tune, everything started going downhill. Im not sure whether or not PATS is actually disabled. I have two fuses in the BEC (the two 15 amp fuses beside of the PCM power relay #1) that are only recieving 9.25v when the rest of the system gets 12. I have to shift the relay around until I push it into the correct position. Then I can hear the fuel pump kick on and the coils and injectors kick on. My throttle body is chattering and it only gets 3.9 volts to it. When I turn the key to start I get nothing at all. The starter is good because I can bridge it over and crank the engine. When I unplug the TB sensor that chatters and plug it back in it stops chattering but the theft light in the dash starts rapidly flashing as if I triggered PATS by doing so. I really can't figure out what's going on and appreciate any feedback any of the Collective has! Here's a video that also shows part of what's going on: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MNzp3TckbUY

Old
  (#2)
TexasBlownV8
Formerly: TexasBlownV6
TexasBlownV8 is just really nice, in an annoying Ryan Seacrest sort of way.TexasBlownV8 is just really nice, in an annoying Ryan Seacrest sort of way.TexasBlownV8 is just really nice, in an annoying Ryan Seacrest sort of way.

04-12-2017

yeah, we've been PM'ing back and forth about the issue. The TB power should be 5v instead of 3.9, so that or something else is pulling down the PCM voltage. The COP circuit is down to around 10v as well, so it could be a coil pack, o2 sensor, or something pulling it down.

It sounds like we're getting it isolated to a few circuits, but other help and ideas are certainly welcome.

Would plugging the IMRC and knock sensors into each other incorrectly cause this issue? Seems like it could, and those two are the same kind of connectors, easy to plug in to each other my mistake. (just a thought I had.)

Let's get this beauty-of-a-swap up and running!!!

Mike - Three turbos, two Mustangs...do the math.

"Sally", The Beast: 2005, 5.0L V8 stroker, forged/cammed, twin-turbos; 4r70W full-auto trans, CircleD converter; Shaftmasters driveshaft; GT500 8.8 w/3.73's; VEI digital gauges, PLX widebands; full suspension.

(Formerly a V6 Automatic with Vortech SQ supercharger & custom a/a intercooler -- 310 RWHP, w/best 1/4: 12.79 @ 107)

2006 4.0L V6 with PowerHouse Turbo, TR6060.

It's not just racing...it's an obsession.
"The brawl inspires many, but few acheive greatness"; "Poop happens" - JujuFox

Old
  (#3)
Mr. Ugly
Collective ADDICT!
Mr. Ugly is a total phucktard

04-13-2017

Grounds G102 and G103 at the front passenger side of engine compartment are good?

Go through Ford Pinpoint Test C?

2007 Satin Silver V6 / Explorer Express X-Charger #67 - Xtreme 2.6 - INTERCOOLED!

AEM wideband| Autometer Sport Comp vac/boost gauge | MSD 8.5mm Superconductor wires | JBA Silver Ceramic shorties | FRPP X, Dynomax Bullets, Pype Bomb deletes | Shaftmasters aluminum driveshaft | 8.8, t-lok, 3.73 | H&R Race springs | Tokico D-Specs & remote adjusters | Shelby Fays2 watts link | J&M lower control arms | J&M upper control arm | J&M lower control arm brackets | J&M camber plates | Eibach F/R Sway Bars | DD Cobra R wheels 18x9/10 | Nitto 555 Tires 255/45, 285/40 | Steeda X5 ball joints | Steeda bumpsteer kit | Steeda front control arm bushing kit | GT takeoff brakes | California Sunscreen 35%/25% tints | Redline hood lifts | Trunk blackout panel | Zabteck throttle body | Ford Accessories GT/CS F/R Fascia

Old
  (#4)
TexasBlownV8
Formerly: TexasBlownV6
TexasBlownV8 is just really nice, in an annoying Ryan Seacrest sort of way.TexasBlownV8 is just really nice, in an annoying Ryan Seacrest sort of way.TexasBlownV8 is just really nice, in an annoying Ryan Seacrest sort of way.

04-13-2017

... Colson found out today he had an incompatible PCM (a 2008 instead of a 2005/2006).
I asked for the PCM 4-digit code and asked to remove fuse #F42 to see if the voltage would go back up on the PCM relay output to 12v. Never got quite that far, but it would have isolated the issue to the PCM

Looking forward to seeing the car run!

Mike - Three turbos, two Mustangs...do the math.

"Sally", The Beast: 2005, 5.0L V8 stroker, forged/cammed, twin-turbos; 4r70W full-auto trans, CircleD converter; Shaftmasters driveshaft; GT500 8.8 w/3.73's; VEI digital gauges, PLX widebands; full suspension.

(Formerly a V6 Automatic with Vortech SQ supercharger & custom a/a intercooler -- 310 RWHP, w/best 1/4: 12.79 @ 107)

2006 4.0L V6 with PowerHouse Turbo, TR6060.

It's not just racing...it's an obsession.
"The brawl inspires many, but few acheive greatness"; "Poop happens" - JujuFox

Old
  (#5)
EastKentuckyMustang
EastKentuckyMustang is working on being a goody goody.

04-13-2017

It was a silly issue! So hopefully he sends me the computer this time lol
I should've checked the part number before I ever installed the thing instead of trusting the writing that was on the side. I should have it running by next week when the PCM gets here. Putting a hold on installing some of the front stuff (coolant and power steering reservoirs and the fan) so I can put in the new radiator next week as well