Go Back   The Mustang Collective Forums > Mustang Tech > Modification Guides / Write-Ups

Old
  (#21)
temugen
Collective ADDICT!
temugen is working on being a goody goody.

10-08-2009

Indeed. Other differences are apparent in the PCM and wiring harness through the years too, so keep that in mind.

2005 mineral grey aut...manual V6 | Demolet CAI | XCal2 VMP 93 tune | MAC long tubes | MAC O/R pipes | Pypes X pipe | Pypes high flow cats | GT take-off mufflers | 4.10:1 FRPP gears | FRPP T-Lok |
Auto->Manual Transmission Swap Tutorial

auto to manual swap
Old
  (#22)
gtstriker86
15-Second Member
gtstriker86 is working on being a goody goody.

Question auto to manual swap - 01-09-2011

when removing the torque converter nuts, does the car have to be in park or neutral, i tried to moved the gear plate to access the bolts but it wont budge and my car is in park?

Old
  (#23)
temugen
Collective ADDICT!

01-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstriker86
when removing the torque converter nuts, does the car have to be in park or neutral, i tried to moved the gear plate to access the bolts but it wont budge and my car is in park?
Neutral! Think about it, if the car is in park, the transmission is locking the driveline from turning :)
If you have it in neutral, the driveline is free to rotate and you'll be able to spin the flexplate/torque converter with quite a bit of force.

Sorry if that part wasn't clear in my guide :-/ I'll update it. Thank you for bringing this to attention :)

Others have pointed out that instead of using leverage on the teeth of the flexplate to spin the driveline to access the other nuts, you can instead use one of the bolts on the pulleys in front of the engine to turn the crankshaft. Your choice.

2005 mineral grey aut...manual V6 | Demolet CAI | XCal2 VMP 93 tune | MAC long tubes | MAC O/R pipes | Pypes X pipe | Pypes high flow cats | GT take-off mufflers | 4.10:1 FRPP gears | FRPP T-Lok |

Last edited by temugen; 01-09-2011 at 10:06 PM.

flexplate-torque converter nut removal
Old
  (#24)
gtstriker86
15-Second Member
gtstriker86 is working on being a goody goody.

Exclamation flexplate-torque converter nut removal - 01-16-2011

you mentioned that the torque converter nuts can be removed by turning one of the pulleys in front of the engine to be able to turn the flexplate, but my crankshaft pulley wont budge. when i tried to remove it last time to change the harmonic balancer it wouldn't even move, i think because my engine is seized. will the flexplate be able to move if i push on the gear teeth through the starter hole? if not how will i be able to disconnect the engine from the tranny if the torque converter nuts are still on?

Old
  (#25)
temugen
Collective ADDICT!

01-16-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstriker86
you mentioned that the torque converter nuts can be removed by turning one of the pulleys in front of the engine to be able to turn the flexplate, but my crankshaft pulley wont budge. when i tried to remove it last time to change the harmonic balancer it wouldn't even move, i think because my engine is seized. will the flexplate be able to move if i push on the gear teeth through the starter hole? if not how will i be able to disconnect the engine from the tranny if the torque converter nuts are still on?
If your engine is seized, then I don't think you're going to be able to access the nuts, because the flexplate rotates with the crankshaft, and if the crankshaft won't turn, then neither will the flexplate.
You'll have to free the engine first regardless of your method of spinning the flexplate, as far as I understand. Maybe try pulling the spark plugs to remove the air pressure in the cylinders in an effort to turn the crankshaft?

Also, use a wrench on the crank pulley if you haven't already - spinning it with your hands might be tough, especially if all of the spark plugs are still in.

Last edited by temugen; 01-16-2011 at 04:56 PM.

Old
  (#26)
Crazzydragongt
15-Second Member
Crazzydragongt is working on being a goody goody.

02-07-2013

The engine harness was plug and play from auto to manual?

Old
  (#27)
stang-aholic
15-Second Member
stang-aholic is working on being a goody goody.

07-20-2013

I really admire the time you put into this write-up and I am looking to do this to my 06. Is there any way you could fix the pics? Not to be a pain, but it would help me greatly on this journey!!! haha

Sequential Tail Lights | Shorty Antenna | FR500S Exhaust | CDC Black Billet Grille | PJ Front Fascia | 18" Staggered Black Bullitts | GT Brakes | MyColor Gauges | GT500 Rear Spoiler | GT500 8.8 w/ 3.73s | 2010 Leather Interior | C&L CAI | 93 VMP Performance Tune | BMR Front and Rear Sway Bars | BMR LCA's | BMR Panhard Bar and Brace

Old
  (#28)
Vilifier
Vilifier is working on being a goody goody.

01-29-2017

old thread... I know... but can we get the pictures back up? My 08 4.0 stang is having issues with the auto trans and I am about to make a list of parts to buy and start shopping. just not sure what the " spacer plate" looks like. Thank you in advanced if this can be done.