Go Back   The Mustang Collective Forums > Other Interests > Food & Spirits

Getting ready for some tasty scotch tonight
Old
  (#1)
JimC
Twin Turbo SHO
JimC is a splendid one to behold..if you are drunk.JimC is a splendid one to behold..if you are drunk.JimC is a splendid one to behold..if you are drunk.JimC is a splendid one to behold..if you are drunk.JimC is a splendid one to behold..if you are drunk.

Getting ready for some tasty scotch tonight - 05-14-2012

My scotch tasters club meets tonight - and I'm looking forward to sampling these:

Benromach Madiera Wood Finish
Benromach Organic Single Malt
Benromach Origins Batch 1 Golden Promise
Lismore- 21yr
Lismore- 14yr

Over the years I haven't found one yet that I would turn down! I'll try to make some tasting notes tonight and give you my thoughts. We meet once a month, on the second Monday at a different member's house to act as host. Always at least 5 to sample, and we try to make sure we have something we haven't had a tasting on before.

Now with twin turbo 3.5LV6.
Screw you photobucket! I'm not going to pay you to now use my own pictures

Old
  (#2)
rygen
Owner - MustangCollective.com:..a 12 gauge Remington, S-Mart's top of the line!!!
rygen is worse than a bloody loan shark.rygen is worse than a bloody loan shark.rygen is worse than a bloody loan shark.rygen is worse than a bloody loan shark.rygen is worse than a bloody loan shark.rygen is worse than a bloody loan shark.rygen is worse than a bloody loan shark.rygen is worse than a bloody loan shark.rygen is worse than a bloody loan shark.rygen is worse than a bloody loan shark.rygen is worse than a bloody loan shark.

05-14-2012

Please do, can't wait to hear your thoughts.

Best 1/4: 10.97@122.09, 1.56 60ft w/4.0 V6
Best 1/4: 10.63@126.71, 1.56 60ft w/5.4 V8
  Send a message via Yahoo to rygen  
Old
  (#3)
Traken
Administrator Mr. Clean
Traken is working on being a goody goody.

05-14-2012

Steal me a bottle of the 21 year, if you can, Jim. lol

2006 Screaming Yellow Mustang GT

Pypes Mid-Muffler Exhaust w/Kooks LT Headers and hi-flo catted H
CMCV Delete Plates & JLT Intake w/Evolution Performance Tune
MGW Short Throw Shifter, CHE LCAs w/anti-squats
  Send a message via Yahoo to Traken Send a message via AIM to Traken Send a message via MSN to Traken  
Old
  (#4)
LisaJ429
Administrator
LisaJ429 has disabled reputation

05-14-2012

so dumb question but how is it decided what scotch is up for tasting? is there like a rotation of people and they are designated to bring a specific brand, etc.

sig by FATW
Run your car...not your mouth!!
  Send a message via Yahoo to LisaJ429  
Old
  (#5)
JimC
Twin Turbo SHO
JimC is a splendid one to behold..if you are drunk.JimC is a splendid one to behold..if you are drunk.JimC is a splendid one to behold..if you are drunk.JimC is a splendid one to behold..if you are drunk.JimC is a splendid one to behold..if you are drunk.

05-14-2012

Two of the guys basically run the club and decide upon a region or style for each meeting and then search out the scotch. At the end of each meeting we decide on who will host the next meeting, the leader announces what we are plannning for that tasting and guys volunteer to buy one of the bottles. With the number of people in the club you have to buy about once a year - or more often if you want to build up your own stash with the "leftovers" in the bottle. Typically there is better than half a bottle to take home since we only take a dram each to taste (still have to drive home afterwards!)

Old
  (#6)
LisaJ429
Administrator
LisaJ429 has disabled reputation

05-14-2012

nice and that's pretty cool then!

sig by FATW
Run your car...not your mouth!!
  Send a message via Yahoo to LisaJ429  
Old
  (#7)
Downtime!
I'm a Legend In My Lime
Downtime! is just really nice, in an annoying Ryan Seacrest sort of way.Downtime! is just really nice, in an annoying Ryan Seacrest sort of way.Downtime! is just really nice, in an annoying Ryan Seacrest sort of way.

05-14-2012

I'm not a huge Scotch fan, but on the few tastings I've been to, I have discovered that the ones I like are very expensive! LOL! Glenfiddich 50 is easily the most expensive I've sampled, IIRC, it was over $20000 a bottle (blame it on my successful Lawyer friends! LOL!), and totally NOT worth it in my uneducated opinion. Back in the real world, Macallen 15 Fine Oak is pretty tasty and right around $50, but their Sherry Oak 18 is my favorite (around $90).

Old
  (#8)
JimC
Twin Turbo SHO

05-14-2012

Had some great tasting scotch tonight. We had to substitute a couple because what we wanted wasn't available. I hear you on the expensive scotch too Bryan - we had some from $25 a bottle to $100 a bottle tonight. The consensus on the best of the evening was the $25 bottle - and everyone said that if you started out saying "you want the $25 or the $100" most would choose the $100 (typical scotch snobs LOL).

We did a blind tasting at Christmas at one of the law offices. One was a $18 scotch and one was a $350 bottle. No one picked the $350 bottle as the most expensive of the bunch (well almost no one, I actually had them all in the right order and then changed my mind). The cheapest one ended up in the middle of the pack consistently in the blind taste.

Old
  (#9)
JimC
Twin Turbo SHO

05-14-2012

Scotch Tasting Ė May 14, 2012
Some excellent scotch this evening running from a $25 bottle to a $100 for one bottle and we had our 5 samples this evening.

We didnít taste all that we planned and substituted a couple Ė simply couldnít find two of them that were on our list for the month.

Tonight we tasted a Benromach Oak 10 year old Speyside. This is aged in bourbon casks for 80% of the time and then sherry cask for the remaining 20%. A very light color with a cherry and raspberry aroma with some very light smoke. Once diluted with a little water it was too light for my taste, but straight had a nice smooth and creamy feel, slight smoke but not overpowering with a malty lingering finish. The taste faded quickly with a couple of drops of water.

We also sampled the Benromach Organic, which was the lightest tasting on the tongue in my opinion. A good whiskey still, but lighter. It was a dark amber color, much darker than the 10 year old so the lightness surprised me in comparison. Nice aroma of spice and apple and with a couple of drops of water some fruit scents came on strong. It had a pleasant taste, but very quick and with a couple of drops of water some hints of grass came through. There was a slight sweetness with the fruit notes.

Benromach Peat Smoke. Another surprisingly light color, VERY smoky aroma and taste. One of club members said it was like holding a cigar, but a good cigar. Straight the taste was definitely smoke, very powerful. With a couple of drops of water though the smoke was cut some and a taste of honey and vanilla seemed to come through on the finish. If you like the smoke taste this is the one for you out of this group.

We then sampled two versions of Lismore. Canít get these in Michigan, and they canít be shipped here. But one of the members has family in Chicago who were able to get these for us to sample.

Lismore 21 year old. A great scotch, dark amber aged in sherry hogshead barrels for 21 years. This is a limited edition with only 1800 bottles made available. A pleasing maple and spice aroma, with hints of leather, smoke, and cereal. Straight the allspice flavor hits you, and with a couple of drops of water the maple comes out. Very smooth and drying, but slight sweetness to eat. Easy to drink and easy on the palate. Due to the limited edition nature this was the $100 bottle.

My favorite of the evening was the Lismore 14 year old though. (yes, I went back for a second taste of this one). The aroma had nice caramel, toffee, and mushroom coming through and with a couple drops of water the toffee came through stronger. Very pleasant taste, slight smoke on the finish Ė until a couple of drops of water were added and the smoke disappeared for me. I preferred it straight with the slight smoke. Very long finish on this one and surprisingly easy on the palate despite its 100 proof.

The biggest surprise of the evening was the Lismore 14 year old. I thought it the best and it turned out to be the cheapest bottle there at only $25! I am going to have my nephew in Chicago pick up some for me and bring it next time he comes to visit his mom (my sister).

Old
  (#10)
JimC
Twin Turbo SHO

10-08-2012

Some more tasty scotch again tonight. The surprise of the evening was one called Deanston 12 year old - doesn't sound like a scotch name. It was the cheapest and one of the top three tonight.

We also sampled some Macallan 10 year old (which was a little disappointing - as one of the guys pointed out it is a good 'beginner scotch', very light. the presenter thought it to be like Glenmorangie 10 year old but I thought it wasn't even close).

The Balevnie 15 year old was excellent. Only 350 bottle are made each year and the price wasn't bad considering how few there are, around $75 here in Michigan. The Aberlour 16 year old was the best I thought, very flavorful, long after taste and not a big burn.

We sampled another one that I've never heard of before, Tomatin 18 year old. Very flavorful and great aroma.

(was trying to post pictures and I keep getting this message:
Quote:
Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error.
any idea why?)