Go Back   The Mustang Collective Forums > Other Interests > Food & Spirits

Good scotch!
Old
  (#1)
JimC
Twin Turbo SHO
JimC is a splendid one to behold..if you are drunk.JimC is a splendid one to behold..if you are drunk.JimC is a splendid one to behold..if you are drunk.JimC is a splendid one to behold..if you are drunk.JimC is a splendid one to behold..if you are drunk.

Good scotch! - 01-18-2013

Now that the effects of the anesthesia are wearing off from yesterday, I guess I can post up some comments on the scotch tasting Monday night.

Scotch club with our usual 5 tasty whiskey's to sample Monday night.

Strathlissa Islay
Auchentoshan Classic
Laphroig Triple Wood
Wemyss Spice King
Tomatin Decades

The store we use sold two of the bottles; the guy at the counter didn't realize it was on reserve so we substituted. So my thoughts on the tastes:

Strathlissa Islay: Great nose and good starting scotch. If you are just getting into tasting this one is the one to start on. Some notes of orange and spice, not a peat scotch. Taste includes some fruit apricot mainly. Finish is quick to come, doesn't linger a long time.

Auchentoshan Classic: triple distilled, matured in American bourbon casks. Aroma of vanilla, and coconut. Very smooth scotch. Can taste the vanilla and a slight apple taste as well. Another good beginner scotch, mild to start with a flavorful finish that lingers; no smoke.

Laphroig Triple Wood: this one was sold, so we substituted:
Jura Origins 10 year: Another great scotch from Jura - (I tasted their Superstition a couple of months back and that is one of their heavily peated tastes and not for the beginner). This one is much lighter and not smokey. Somewhat of a sweet honey taste and long finish I thought. Aroma is nice and fruit filled

Wemyss Spice King: Another one that was accidentally sold on us so we substituted:
Ballechin #3 Port Cask: Peat smoke comes through, but not overwhelming and a nice floral type aroma is hidden. Good for someone just getting into the smoke scotch. Some honey notes, plus grass. Sweet up front with smoke at the back of the taste; the finish is pretty long and the smoke lasts.

Tomatin Decades: This is a special release to celebrate 5 decades at the distillery by the master distiller Douglas Campbell. It is a blend using selected casks from 1967 through 2005. This has a GREAT aroma. Some toffee nose and taste with an oily finish - I thought smoke at first and then realized it was not smoke and someone else mentioned the oily finish. It is thick and creamy, probably the creamiest tasting scotch I've had. A little sweet with pear and apple that disappears quickly leaving a spice taste to finish.

Now with twin turbo 3.5LV6.
Screw you photobucket! I'm not going to pay you to now use my own pictures

Old
  (#2)
JimC
Twin Turbo SHO
JimC is a splendid one to behold..if you are drunk.JimC is a splendid one to behold..if you are drunk.JimC is a splendid one to behold..if you are drunk.JimC is a splendid one to behold..if you are drunk.JimC is a splendid one to behold..if you are drunk.

01-18-2013

I grabbed some pictures or our tasting and of the "collection shelf" that the host has. He has this case set up for his special collection that he saves and only breaks out once in a great while, but I didn't get his "DD" shelf (daily drinking). That has some great whiskeys on it too.

For some reason I can't upload pictures. I get this message:

Quote:
Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error.

Now with twin turbo 3.5LV6.
Screw you photobucket! I'm not going to pay you to now use my own pictures

Old
  (#3)
RedfirePony
InSaNeLy FaSt Member
RedfirePony is a jewel in the rough, yeah right!RedfirePony is a jewel in the rough, yeah right!

03-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Now that the effects of the anesthesia are wearing off from yesterday, I guess I can post up some comments on the scotch tasting Monday night.

Scotch club with our usual 5 tasty whiskey's to sample Monday night.

Strathlissa Islay
Auchentoshan Classic
Laphroig Triple Wood
Wemyss Spice King
Tomatin Decades

The store we use sold two of the bottles; the guy at the counter didn't realize it was on reserve so we substituted. So my thoughts on the tastes:

Strathlissa Islay: Great nose and good starting scotch. If you are just getting into tasting this one is the one to start on. Some notes of orange and spice, not a peat scotch. Taste includes some fruit apricot mainly. Finish is quick to come, doesn't linger a long time.

Auchentoshan Classic: triple distilled, matured in American bourbon casks. Aroma of vanilla, and coconut. Very smooth scotch. Can taste the vanilla and a slight apple taste as well. Another good beginner scotch, mild to start with a flavorful finish that lingers; no smoke.

Laphroig Triple Wood: this one was sold, so we substituted:
Jura Origins 10 year: Another great scotch from Jura - (I tasted their Superstition a couple of months back and that is one of their heavily peated tastes and not for the beginner). This one is much lighter and not smokey. Somewhat of a sweet honey taste and long finish I thought. Aroma is nice and fruit filled

Wemyss Spice King: Another one that was accidentally sold on us so we substituted:
Ballechin #3 Port Cask: Peat smoke comes through, but not overwhelming and a nice floral type aroma is hidden. Good for someone just getting into the smoke scotch. Some honey notes, plus grass. Sweet up front with smoke at the back of the taste; the finish is pretty long and the smoke lasts.

Tomatin Decades: This is a special release to celebrate 5 decades at the distillery by the master distiller Douglas Campbell. It is a blend using selected casks from 1967 through 2005. This has a GREAT aroma. Some toffee nose and taste with an oily finish - I thought smoke at first and then realized it was not smoke and someone else mentioned the oily finish. It is thick and creamy, probably the creamiest tasting scotch I've had. A little sweet with pear and apple that disappears quickly leaving a spice taste to finish.

This post makes me just want to cry. There is nothing like an nice glass of straight Scotch in Brandy sniffer on a cold night. You savor its aroma and slowly sip it and feel the wonderful warmth as it goes down. It's just a memory now. I'm on a cholesterol lowering medication and can't drink anymore for fear of liver damage. Weeping. Weeping. Weeping.