Go Back   The Mustang Collective Forums > Mustang Tech > General Tech

Old
  (#21)
Mustang
15-Second Member
Mustang is working on being a goody goody.

07-13-2012

Ok so basically I swapped the good motor i bought on ebay with the bad motor I already pulled off and the needle is moving just how it was when it was broken so I know that the connections are all still good now does this mean I bought a bad motor? and ill upload some pics tomorrow

(I live in the bay area/California)

Old
  (#22)
rlfitz
Collective Junkie
rlfitz is working on being a goody goody.

07-13-2012

Possibly a bad motor. Try a new one?

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

Old
  (#23)
Mustang
15-Second Member

07-14-2012

I bought the new motor so ill post again if i have any more problems/questions. Im almost 100% sure its just the bad motor i bought

Old
  (#24)
Mustang
15-Second Member

07-17-2012

I got the new motor yesterday and thank god it worked! so it was just the motor that was bad this is the best fix I've ever come across I just saved myself over $1000 I highly recommend you do this if your gauges go out because going to the dealer would be ignorant. I thank you for this post and for figuring this out. (Now why cant ford do this!!!)

Old
  (#25)
rlfitz
Collective Junkie
rlfitz is working on being a goody goody.

07-18-2012

I'm sure some of the Ford guys could do this. But they probably aren't allowed to. They just swap parts and reach deep into your wallet. It's easier and more profitable to make you buy a whole new cluster. Congrats on getting it fixed and saving yourself a bunch of money. That's a good feeling isn't it.

will car work normally while cluster is removed?
Old
  (#26)
kivnic
kivnic is working on being a goody goody.

will car work normally while cluster is removed? - 01-23-2013

If my soldering skills were better I would definitely try this fix. Since they're not though, I'm thinking of using one of the "mail in cluster repair services". For about $60-100 you can apparently mail your cluster panel to someone who will do the repair and then send it back.

This creates another kind of problem though since I'll still need to drive the car while waiting for the cluster to be mailed back.

Can anyone confirm that that car will still start and drive normally with the cluster panel removed?

Thanks!

Old
  (#27)
elroyjetson_1978
Collective Junkie
elroyjetson_1978 is a total phucktard

01-23-2013

It might but I highly doubt it. That will likely trigger the pats.

For whoever said the dealer wants $1300, I had a dealer do mine as this thread was not started when my temp gauge failed. It cost me $550 on paper but they paid for it cause they argued with me that the thermostat had went bad. When I came back within 30 minutes of it being declared fixed they went oopsie! Let us fix that for you and have a rental on us, didn't you say you wanted a job in the repair bay?

She barks in first. She barks hitting second. She barks hitting third. She sure barks alot.

'05 v6 best 1/8th 9.28 at 75.-best 1/4th 14.54at 92.98

IT'S A GIRL! Emily Elizabeth Ross was born on 09/29/09.
5lbs 6oz

Stepper motor question
Old
  (#28)
Mustang2005-39
Mustang2005-39 is working on being a goody goody.

Stepper motor question - 04-24-2017

I found 6 steppers on amazon but they are black. The ones you changed in your detailed report were white. Is that gonna change anything ?
Thanks

Old
  (#29)
Mustang2005-39
Mustang2005-39 is working on being a goody goody.

04-24-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aipaloovik View Post
I've been having some trouble with my instrument cluster lately in the Mustang. I have two gauges that are not working, the speedo and the oil pressure. After doing some searching I found this was not uncommon for 2005 mustangs. I also found the culprit seems to be the motors that drive the needles in the dash. Seems they replaced these in newer models with a motor less likely to fail. Unfortunately, Ford does not believe the dash to be a serviceable part, so to fix the issue, you need to purchase a whole new cluster. Unwilling to accept that answer, I decided to find a DIY fix. The motors can be purchased online for $5. My speedo and oil pressure gauge were both not working so for $14.95 including shipping, I got two motors shipped to my door. Far less than Ford is asking for a new cluster. This job involves soldering to a circuit board, so if you have never done this, it may not be the solution for you, but I'm happy with the way it turned out and very happy with the savings of doing it myself.

First step to fix this is to pull the cluster out of the car. There are other write ups on this process so I wont cover this part.

[
My cluster out of the car.

Next, compile the tools you need to complete the job.

There isn't much required, as you can see.

The first real step is to pull the glass (plastic) off the face of the cluster. There are 5 black tabs that simply lift up to remove the glass.

Here are the separated pieces.

The tricky part about it all is adjusting the gauge needs back to where they should be when you are done. Some people mount the dash without the glass, turn the ignition on without starting the car and set them that way. I chose to mark them where they were and to make sure to place them back in the same spot when I was done.

Next, pull the needles off the face, and then remove the plastic back. There are 4 plastic tabs to remove the back.

Here is everything pulled apart. The 6 round white plastic pieces are the stepper motors. These are likely the culprit if one of your gauges is acting up or not working.

There are 4 soldered points holding the motor to the circuit board. Heat these up with a soldering iron and wick away the solder to remove the old motor.

The new motor mounts right in the place of the old motor. Note the part number of X25-589 rather than XC5-589. That is the replacement motor.

Once you have all the needed motors replaced, put it all back together and you're done.

The entire thing took me about 30 minutes. I replaced 2 of the motors because I had 2 gauges that were not working. You might want to replace them all at once as they are cheap enough and once you have it all apart, it's not much more work to replace the rest. Not sure if anyone here is having the same problem, but as I searched I found on other forums that many people were.

General disclaimer... You're dash may NOT be 100% accurately calibrated if you do this. Especially if you mark the needles the way I did. There are ways to calibrate each gauge but to me, being within 1/8" is close enough to accurate, so thats how I chose to do it. Aslo know that if you do not do this in a static free environment, you could damage other components in the dash. If you are not confident soldering, I don't recommend this. If you are, or know someone who is, it's quite an inexpensive fix.
The steppers that I found online were black. The ones in your diagram are white..does that make a difference?
Thanks