Go Back   The Mustang Collective Forums > Vendor Forums > Atlantic Coast Mustang

Old
  (#11)
scrming
The Collective is a way of life!!!
scrming is a jewel in the rough, yeah right!scrming is a jewel in the rough, yeah right!

12-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas S
Hey John do you still have your Camaro? I respect your opinion but I think changing full synthetic oil after less than 5000 miles is a waste of money. So does anyone know why the V6 is using oil? Seems like Chevy would come up with a fix.

OP: congrats on the Termi and Camaro!
Camaro was traded in on the F-250.. Acadia on the Flex...

Yep, normally you are right on going more than 5,000 on full synthetic... But trust me if you seen the crap that came out of my engine at 5,000 miles you would definitely think twice about running more the 5,000 miles between changes! It was the most nasty, black oil I had ever seen!

Now go do a quick google on "GM 3.6L timing chain problem". The stretched timing chain problem has been going on for quite some time! Our Acadia had them replaced twice! And it's a still an on going issue. Most dealerships are reporting sludged up engines when they start tearing the engine apart. These are engines that might only have 30,000 miles or less! Our Acadia's chains went at 32,000 miles and then again at 82,000. Yes, they were covered by the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty... but still a hassle and still a concern if you plan on keeping your car for over 100,000 miles or 5 years!

The high oil consumption is a relatively new issue showing up in the V6 Camaro's. It's caused a few spun bearing... GM is replacing the motors or rebuilding them without question... They are aware of the issue but no information as to what the problem might be...

So while changing your full synthetic oil every 5,000 might seem extreme (and I agree, normally it would be extremem!) , in the case of the LLT engine it seems warranted if you want to keep it healthy!

Big Red - 2015 F-350 SCREW - PowerStroke - 440 HP / 860 TQ

Old
  (#12)
redguitarfreak
The Freak!
redguitarfreak is working on being a goody goody.

12-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwood
What did your wife do to piss you off?

That's a beautiful car! And that HOOD is amazing!!

No Mustang for now.... But soon. Very soon....