Go Back   The Mustang Collective Forums > Mustang Tech > S197 4.6 Tech

4.6 Head Casting Numbers
Old
  (#1)
RaceCar
15-Second Member
RaceCar is a total phucktard

4.6 Head Casting Numbers - 03-27-2016

So I have been looking into doing a V6 to V8 swap in my car. I am getting a little bored of my wimpy stock V6, so I have been looking into wrecked GT's. I would like to have the whole car to pull parts from, and not worry about it when I find parts that I didn't know I would need. What I have found is a lot of 05-07 cars and not many 08-10. The 08-10s near me seem to all be really hard front end impacts that encroach on the engine, or really high mileage for the year. But I am wanting the newer style heads with the 12mm spark plugs. How much should I be worrying about mileage? Does the 4.6 hold up well to high mileage?

So that leads me to my main question.

Does anyone know what the casting number on the new style heads is? If I'm going to do an engine swap and have the engine out of the car, I might as well get the parts I want on it then, right?

Or should I just deal with the crappy spark plug woes?

Old
  (#2)
RedfirePony
InSaNeLy FaSt Member
RedfirePony is a jewel in the rough, yeah right!RedfirePony is a jewel in the rough, yeah right!

04-01-2016

I don't have an answer to your question as to how to identify 2008 -10 heads, but am attaching a link to Sean Hyland Motor Sports in Canada. He has done a lot of performance development work on the 4.6 in it's various forms. The link is to the "contact us" form on the website. You may shoot them a message telling them what you want to do and ask how to identify the later model heads and engines from the spark plug problem prone earlier heads and engines. They may be able to give you some advice.

https://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com...mation/contact

The Following User Says Thank You to RedfirePony For This Useful Post:
Tman1020 (03-25-2017)