Go Back   The Mustang Collective Forums > Mustang Tech > S197 4.6 Tech

Roush Blower on higher mileage motor?
Old
  (#1)
05 StangGuy
14-Second Member
05 StangGuy is working on being a goody goody.

Roush Blower on higher mileage motor? - 06-18-2015

Hey everyone, first and foremost thanks for any input!

To the meat of the question.
I've got an 06 GT Auto with 130k on the clock.
It's in great running condition.
Compression test was golden, leakdown test was fine. No smoke, no loss of oil, coolant, you name it. It's fine.

Which leads to my dilemma.
I've stumbled upon a fairly good deal.

Down to the last nut and bolt. A lightly used (7,302) *Verified* Roush M90, for $1800

I know the guy, it's his daily. He never even added the CAI. Just the base 435BHP kit.

Now my question (yes, I already know of the M90 shortcomings) So that fact aside.
Is even through an auto that seems to ballpark around 360 or so to the tires.
Full bolt ons will net 300-320? And cost more.

But I know there is less inherent issue with bolt ons as I am not doing anything more than changing the way the motor itself produces power (IE cams)

So again, the M90 part aside. Yay or nay?
End goal is a snappy auto with enough umph to be relevant, and still maintain a good life expectancy(yes I realize the paradox of saying boost and reliability) But at 5PSI, on a daily driven car that doesn't see the strip or even WOT that often, is this feasible or should I pass?

Aside from being the bottom level PD blower on the market, I've read that people with smaller plans are quite happy and that it's a pretty reliable setup. Even with a CAI and pulley swap. But my concern is mileage. My motor checks out, but has my FI window passed?

Again, thanks in advance!

2006 Mustang GT OBX Longtubes, O/R H, Pype Bombs, Bama Tuned

2003 Mustang GT (direct trade for 06 GT) O/R H, Straight Pipes

2006 Mustang GT (Sold)SSS Terminators

1996 Mustang GT(Traded in) O/R H Magnapacks

2005 Mustang (Sold) SCT BAMA 91 RACE TUNE, JLT NEXT GEN CAI, M2 SHORTY HEADERS, HOMEMADE H PIPE DUALS WITH SLP LOUDMOUTHS

2006 Mustang GT (KIA by wife) Jlt Series 3 CAI, Pypes O/R H Pipe, SSS Terminators, FRRP 4.10s, SCT BAMA Tuned.

1997 Mustang GT(SOLD) 2001 5.4 Swapped, Modified Pypes O/R X Pipe, SLP LM II, Pro 5.0 Shifter, Airraid CAI, SCT BAMA Tuned

1989 Mustang GT (KIA)
Far too many parts to list.

2009 Mustang (SOLD)
X Charged 2.8 Hi-Po, Pacesetter LTs, Modded GT H Pipe, Flowmaster ATs, Shaftmaster Aluminum DS, FRRP T-Lok/4.10s, SCT Tuned by DOUG*BamaChips*

Old
  (#2)
roddy
Collective Spokes Person
roddy has a spectacular aura about them, when thier drunk and wasted.

06-18-2015

Go for it!

no man with a good car needs to be justified...

Old
  (#3)
05 StangGuy
14-Second Member

06-18-2015

Just like that?
LOL

hypothetically. Since I'm an auto I'd probably have to spring for at least the CAI and better tuning to hit 400 out back.

So assuming 460+ BHP, are we sure.....?

haha I am just waiting one last thing, before I know the full spec on my engine. I sent an oil sample out to check my bearing wear.
But the tests I can do at my shop were passed with flying colors.

I figure if I did it, I'd spring for VMPs 500 kit, and be done with it. Total around 2800. Then actually get a dyno tune. I've heard VMP and JDM do amazing email tunes for safety and good output. Which is great, as there isn't anyone in this city I'd trust to tune a domestic V8.
Plenty of import speed shops though :/

2005 Mustang (Sold) SCT BAMA 91 RACE TUNE, JLT NEXT GEN CAI, M2 SHORTY HEADERS, HOMEMADE H PIPE DUALS WITH SLP LOUDMOUTHS

2006 Mustang GT (KIA by wife) Jlt Series 3 CAI, Pypes O/R H Pipe, SSS Terminators, FRRP 4.10s, SCT BAMA Tuned.

1997 Mustang GT(SOLD) 2001 5.4 Swapped, Modified Pypes O/R X Pipe, SLP LM II, Pro 5.0 Shifter, Airraid CAI, SCT BAMA Tuned

1989 Mustang GT (KIA)

2009 Mustang (SOLD)
X Charged 2.8 Hi-Po, Pacesetter LTs, Modded GT H Pipe, Flowmaster ATs, Shaftmaster Aluminum DS, FRRP T-Lok/4.10s, SCT Tuned by DOUG*BamaChips*

Old
  (#4)
roddy
Collective Spokes Person

06-18-2015

I know the 4.0 and 4.6 are different animals, but just ask JimC about M-90s on high mileage engines. IIRC, his had over 200K miles on it, and it was still going strong with 10+ lbs of boost when he sold it. With good compression and "only" 130K on the clock, you should be ok.
It sounds like the real question is will it be enough HP for you? One of the locals has a Roush M-90 on his 4.6, and he loves it. I'll have to ask what his numbers and 1/4 mile times are at when I see him again.

If this is actually a H/C/I vs FI decision, I still say go for the blower, you can't beat a positive displacement blower for pumping out the torque at the kind of RPMs you typically use on the street. I can't see a small blower at low PSI being any harder on an engine than putting larger cams in it, and turning higher revs to get at the power. With an automatic and more cam, you'll likely need a higher stall torque converter and more gear in the rear end...not always the most fun on the street

so...long story short, Go for it!

Last edited by roddy; 06-18-2015 at 09:25 PM.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to roddy For This Useful Post:
05 StangGuy (06-18-2015), JimC (06-18-2015)
Old
  (#5)
05 StangGuy
14-Second Member

06-18-2015

I completely forgot about Jim!
It's been about a year or so since I've been on here. Three mustangs later....lol

Yeah the base kit seems to dyno in the range of 360, I'm waiting for feedback from VMP, as one of their dyno showed 496. And if that is just on a stock car with just the blower, I am hoping my exhaust would push me to my sweet spot.

I would love to just slap it on and make around 360+ out back. And well save a few months just in case, and once I have enough saved for a new motor (knock on wood), bump to the pulley, cai, and some more work by VMP, I hear nothing but spectacular reviews about even his Email tunes.

I keep reading and reading, and it depresses me to think CAI, UDP, CMDP, LTs, O/R mid, won't even put me in the 320 range.

Damned slushbox. Oh well, I got it direct trade for an 03 GT. I still love her, I just want some giddy up.

And it's hard to turn it away at the price. Especially since it would eclipse full bolt ons.

1989 Mustang GT (KIA)

2009 Mustang (SOLD)

Last edited by 05 StangGuy; 06-18-2015 at 11:32 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to 05 StangGuy For This Useful Post:
JimC (06-19-2015)
Old
  (#6)
05 StangGuy
14-Second Member

06-18-2015

It's all in the tune mostly no?

Like I said, my be all end all goal if I go boosted is 400 out back.
NA I wouldn't mind 300, but the cost is about the same at this rate.

I may have to jump.
7300 miles and 1800 bucks is a great deal....

1989 Mustang GT (KIA)

2009 Mustang (SOLD)

The Following User Says Thank You to 05 StangGuy For This Useful Post:
JimC (06-19-2015)
Old
  (#7)
roddy
Collective Spokes Person

06-19-2015

Dollar for dollar, you're not going to beat that deal, especially if you can turn a wrench. The added low end punch and sound of an Eaton blower is the icing on the cake. Personally, I couldn't get the cash out of my pocket fast enough on that one.

Old
  (#8)
05 StangGuy
14-Second Member

06-19-2015

I talked to Justin at VMP, which to my understanding is one of the best for dealing with these, mentioned the same things and he said go for it as well.

Just to keep it around 400 out back as the max safe zone due to age.
But that's still my goal anyway. I already paid for the blower, tomorrow we start taking it off.

1989 Mustang GT (KIA)

2009 Mustang (SOLD)

Old
  (#9)
JimC
Twin Turbo SHO
JimC is a splendid one to behold..if you are drunk.JimC is a splendid one to behold..if you are drunk.JimC is a splendid one to behold..if you are drunk.JimC is a splendid one to behold..if you are drunk.JimC is a splendid one to behold..if you are drunk.

06-19-2015

Congratulations - low mileage blower and a "medium" mileage engine! Tom, John and I put the Xcharger on my car at 90,000 miles. Last I heard from RichC who bought it he had 212,000 or so on it and it was still going strong.

Now with twin turbo 3.5LV6.
Screw you photobucket! I'm not going to pay you to now use my own pictures

Old
  (#10)
05 StangGuy
14-Second Member

07-16-2015

Sorry about disappearing.
Was too busy burning through my stock tires.

I like it.
Very snappy. Unsure what exactly I am putting down, justin says probably in the 350-360 range.
But for the price? Very happy.

1989 Mustang GT (KIA)

2009 Mustang (SOLD)