Go Back   The Mustang Collective Forums > Mustang Tech > S197 4.6 Tech

Why not Turbo?
Old
  (#1)
Detector
Kansas Pony
Detector is a total phucktard

Why not Turbo? - 05-08-2015

I've been looking to upgrade my 2006 V6 4.0's HP. I had been looking at a ProCharger Stage 2, because that is what mine had before, but I keep seeing these twin turbo kits for 1/3 the price of the ProCharger. Is twin turbo the way to go? What are the Pro's & Con's?

Thanks

Old
  (#2)
TexasBlownV8
Formerly: TexasBlownV6
TexasBlownV8 is just really nice, in an annoying Ryan Seacrest sort of way.TexasBlownV8 is just really nice, in an annoying Ryan Seacrest sort of way.TexasBlownV8 is just really nice, in an annoying Ryan Seacrest sort of way.

05-08-2015

For a 4.0, a turbo delivers more power, as there is little-to-no parasitic drag on the engine. A simple comparison, with a vortect at 12 psi, I saw a max of about 330 hp. With 12 psi on my turbo, I'm right around 400, or a little over. This is on a mostly-stock engine (except for valve springs). Others on here have similar experience, and some really good numbers on built engines.

Mike - Three turbos, two Mustangs...do the math.

"Sally", The Beast: 2005, 5.0L V8 stroker, forged/cammed, twin-turbos; 4r70W full-auto trans, CircleD converter; Shaftmasters driveshaft; GT500 8.8 w/3.73's; VEI digital gauges, PLX widebands; full suspension.

(Formerly a V6 Automatic with Vortech SQ supercharger & custom a/a intercooler -- 310 RWHP, w/best 1/4: 12.79 @ 107)

2006 4.0L V6 with PowerHouse Turbo, TR6060.

It's not just racing...it's an obsession.
"The brawl inspires many, but few acheive greatness"; "Poop happens" - JujuFox

Old
  (#3)
Detector
Kansas Pony

05-09-2015

So why would people choose to pay $5,000 for a Supercharger when they could pay $1,100 for a turbo with more power?

Old
  (#4)
ABQstang89
Collective Junkie
ABQstang89 will become famous when the world comes to an end.

05-09-2015

You won't find a turbo kit for $1,100. I love my turbo build, but will say that a centri would have been the much easier and cost effective avenue to go.

Old
  (#5)
Detector
Kansas Pony

05-09-2015

So this is not a complete kit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/T3-T4-TWIN-T...-/230918056852
Attached Images
File Type: jpg turbo.JPG (88.5 KB, 6 views)

Old
  (#6)
TexasBlownV8
Formerly: TexasBlownV6
TexasBlownV8 is just really nice, in an annoying Ryan Seacrest sort of way.TexasBlownV8 is just really nice, in an annoying Ryan Seacrest sort of way.TexasBlownV8 is just really nice, in an annoying Ryan Seacrest sort of way.

05-09-2015

Lol, no. Young grasshopper, you have a lot to learn about turbo kits on these cars

Unless you can fab up all your piping, you MUST get a kit that is MADE TO FIT your car. That is where the costs come in. The hot-side exhaust piping is completely absent in the link you provided, as is some of the most intricate parts of the system in terms of bends and fitment. The cold side is a little easier to fabricate, but still, has to have the proper bends.

Plus, you do get what you pay for. You really need to use top-quality components, especially for the turbo(s), wastegate(s), and BOV.

Good parts + fabrication time is where the costs come in and generally make new turbo kits a little more expensive.

Why "not" turbo? the main answer would be cost and difficulty of installation.

There's a LOT of JUNK out there. If you try using junk, you not only will have problems getting things built and installed, but you'll also risk engine damage.
Get a good kit and set it up right, you'll be very happy for a long time. Buy junk and you're be looking for another engine or something else to drive.

You can occasionally find a good quality used single turbo kit from someone, but they are somewhat rare for the 4.0. (I'd sell mine, maybe, for $4k.) The cost of other types of setups is definitely less, and they are easier to find.

Mike - Three turbos, two Mustangs...do the math.

"Sally", The Beast: 2005, 5.0L V8 stroker, forged/cammed, twin-turbos; 4r70W full-auto trans, CircleD converter; Shaftmasters driveshaft; GT500 8.8 w/3.73's; VEI digital gauges, PLX widebands; full suspension.

(Formerly a V6 Automatic with Vortech SQ supercharger & custom a/a intercooler -- 310 RWHP, w/best 1/4: 12.79 @ 107)

2006 4.0L V6 with PowerHouse Turbo, TR6060.

It's not just racing...it's an obsession.
"The brawl inspires many, but few acheive greatness"; "Poop happens" - JujuFox

Old
  (#7)
rampant racing
FULL OF NOT SO HOT AIR
rampant racing is a glorious beacon of light, or more like a strobe light when you got a migrane.rampant racing is a glorious beacon of light, or more like a strobe light when you got a migrane.rampant racing is a glorious beacon of light, or more like a strobe light when you got a migrane.rampant racing is a glorious beacon of light, or more like a strobe light when you got a migrane.

05-09-2015

you forgot the cost of a tuner and custom tuning as well. if I decided to go turbo I will fab most of it if not all of it myself with quality parts and then get a proper dyno tune. I have dreams of a twin kit coming out the hood on either side of my custom intake. I will increase the length of the runners by a good 6" first though. hey if yer gonna make a statement ....make a big one I always say lol

2008 pony, candy red,8.8 with 4.10's/tloc,,sctx3 tuner,MT28X11.5X15 STREET ET SLICKS
custom 2" stainless headers & duals with gt takeoff muffs,lakewood upper & umi lower control arms and panhard bar,shaftmasters aluminum driveshaft, vortech v3 blower with air to air intercooler running 16psi, COOLINGMIST METH INJECTION KIT. ported n polished heads with custom manley stainless steel valves. manley rods and pistons. new motor combo is not yet dyno tuned. new best time is 12.46 at 110.66mph but the limiter was set for 110 mph lol.

Old
  (#8)
Detector
Kansas Pony

05-09-2015

LOL well that is why I asked. I knew it looked like the old saying "If something looks too go to be true!"

Thanks!