Go Back   The Mustang Collective Forums > Mustang Tech > S197 4.0 Tech

Rear end question
Old
  (#1)
grabber orange fury
11-Second Member
grabber orange fury has a spectacular aura about them, when thier drunk and wasted.

Rear end question - 09-13-2017

Jim can I use this rear end? I'm not sure what clutch style differential is. At this point I'm looking for the best used 8.8i can find. Will 5.0 rears work? The one I'm looking at says this....

(8.8' ring gear), 5.0L, GT, 3.73 ratio (MT), clutch style differential,HAS ABS,RWD

Found this on car part. Year is 2013 and it's got 35000 KM. Price isn't listed, but before calling about it I wanna make sure it'll fit even though it's 5.0, and I was hoping you could xplain the difference between clutch style diff, and LSD?

Anyone?

giddy up

Old
  (#2)
roddy
Collective Spokes Person
roddy has a spectacular aura about them, when thier drunk and wasted.

09-13-2017

It should work, but I can't say which pinion flange would be on that one. It won't matter for bolting it in the car, but you'll need to know when you order your driveshaft. OEM and many of the aftermarket LSDs are a clutch type. There is also the cone type (auburn), Torsen, and other purely mechanical types. If you can get one with 3.73s, grab it.

no man with a good car needs to be justified...

Old
  (#3)
JimC
Twin Turbo SHO
JimC is a splendid one to behold..if you are drunk.JimC is a splendid one to behold..if you are drunk.JimC is a splendid one to behold..if you are drunk.JimC is a splendid one to behold..if you are drunk.JimC is a splendid one to behold..if you are drunk.

09-13-2017

No problem Roger - it's from a 2013 so it will fit. It may even have the correct flange, won't know until you look at it.

LSD, T-lok, and "clutch style diff" are all the same. Limited Slip Differential and the Ford T-lok are simply different names for a differential that uses clutches. The only one on the Mustang that is a little different is the Torsen found on the Boss 302, I think it is a mechanical type.

I just thought of one other difference. On the GT500 the LSD/T-lok uses carbon fiber clutches for a little more durability

Now with twin turbo 3.5LV6.
Screw you photobucket! I'm not going to pay you to now use my own pictures

Old
  (#4)
grabber orange fury
11-Second Member
grabber orange fury has a spectacular aura about them, when thier drunk and wasted.

09-16-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
No problem Roger - it's from a 2013 so it will fit. It may even have the correct flange, won't know until you look at it.

LSD, T-lok, and "clutch style diff" are all the same. Limited Slip Differential and the Ford T-lok are simply different names for a differential that uses clutches. The only one on the Mustang that is a little different is the Torsen found on the Boss 302, I think it is a mechanical type.

I just thought of one other difference. On the GT500 the LSD/T-lok uses carbon fiber clutches for a little more durability

Rear end was too expensive to ship, and was going to eat it in core charge. Looking in western Canada. It's hard to find the 3:73, I might have to settle for the 3:55. Spoke to David at shaftmasters, he hooked me up with a handy PDF for measuring the length. He also said not to worry, just tell him which tranny and which rear end and he can ship the appropriate flanges.

I'll let you guys know when I find an 8.8"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

giddy up

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grabber orange fury For This Useful Post:
JimC (09-16-2017), Tman1020 (15 Hours Ago)
Old
  (#5)
JimC
Twin Turbo SHO
JimC is a splendid one to behold..if you are drunk.JimC is a splendid one to behold..if you are drunk.JimC is a splendid one to behold..if you are drunk.JimC is a splendid one to behold..if you are drunk.JimC is a splendid one to behold..if you are drunk.

09-16-2017

David at Shaftmasters is great to work with.

Now with twin turbo 3.5LV6.
Screw you photobucket! I'm not going to pay you to now use my own pictures

The Following User Says Thank You to JimC For This Useful Post:
TexasBlownV8 (09-17-2017)
Old
  (#6)
grabber orange fury
11-Second Member

09-18-2017

Found a rear end. 2012 mustang GT with 16000km's. Shipped for 1100 CAD. 😍
3:73's, and I'm getting a hold of bama chips to adjust the gear ratio in my tune. Action adaption plate arrived today, thank you Gaylon. I'll let you guys know how the install goes.

giddy up

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grabber orange fury For This Useful Post:
JimC (09-18-2017), roddy (09-18-2017)
Old
  (#7)
grabber orange fury
11-Second Member

1 Week Ago

Cool, so a few hiccups along the way but I think the swap and install went well. I am picking up the car tomorrow if my mechanic is happy. The drive shaft arrived from shaft masters today.

The transmission swap was standard, relocation of the 02 sensors, grinding down the starter ear for clearance. A bolt hole had to be opened on the kit, but there was an expectation for this. The issues for this swap were pretty standard and my mechanic didnít have any new issues to report. We machined the flywheel bushing down, and trimmed 1/8 off the rear of the bushing, rather than the flywheel itself. These seems to have worked and another user has gone with this approach. Beats machining the flywheel itself IMO. I used a brand new, never installed TR-3650, shaftmasters 52Ē X 3 1/2Ē and the rear end mentioned above. Itís been a hassle co-ordinating with other shops, exhaust and machine shop for the bushing, waiting on parts etc, but should be worth the wait.

I went with an MGW shifter, but got screwed for the linkage. I ended up ordering a stock GT shifter to harvest the linkage. Another user had to do this also. It sucks but aftermarket shifters donít come with the linkage, so if youíre doing this swap, itís something to consider, using the stock shifter and linkage, or going aftermarket and potentially having to track down the linkage or, buy a GT stock shifter to get one.

The rear end is a helical Torsen style LSD, so Iíll be doing some research on this, but I have added the correct weight oil and modifier, as per my LFD. So I think everything went well, and just a heads up, if you have an SCT 3 flash tuner, you wonít need tunes, you can do this under custom settings in order to change your tune to 3:73, or which ever gear set is in your rear end. I use Bama but they are no longer taking F/I tune requests. If you were F/I before this change they will ďtryĒ to accommodate you. Itís about time for a custom dyno set of tunes anyway.

So 11 inch tires in the back with 3:73 gears, and 2.6 inter cooled X-charger, I think this car just got a whole lot easier and more fun to drive. Date night tomorrow but Iíll check in on the weekend with my reviews.

giddy up

JimC (1 Week Ago), roddy (1 Week Ago)
Old
  (#8)
rampant racing
FULL OF NOT SO HOT AIR
rampant racing is a glorious beacon of light, or more like a strobe light when you got a migrane.rampant racing is a glorious beacon of light, or more like a strobe light when you got a migrane.rampant racing is a glorious beacon of light, or more like a strobe light when you got a migrane.rampant racing is a glorious beacon of light, or more like a strobe light when you got a migrane.

1 Week Ago

marken performance in Kitchener for your dyno tune. he does mine and I highly recommend him. his name is mark. I am going to be making an appointment soon for mine to be retuned with my new cans and intake and tb etc. hoping for 500rwhp.

2008 pony, candy red,8.8 with 4.10's/tloc,,sctx3 tuner,MT28X11.5X15 STREET ET SLICKS
custom 2" stainless headers & duals with gt takeoff muffs,lakewood upper & umi lower control arms and panhard bar,shaftmasters aluminum driveshaft, vortech v3 blower with air to air intercooler running 16psi, COOLINGMIST METH INJECTION KIT. ported n polished heads with custom manley stainless steel valves. manley rods and pistons. new motor combo is not yet dyno tuned. new best time is 12.46 at 110.66mph but the limiter was set for 110 mph lol.

Old
  (#9)
grabber orange fury
11-Second Member

5 Days Ago

Ok, all the work is done, and has been running well for a few days. I went through some struggles getting the tunes set up to correct the speedometer calibration. Mostly because Bama Performance had updated their systems, and also their policies. I spoke in depth with a man named Shawn, who informed me of the new changes. Theyíre basically trying to accommodate customers who were previously F/I, on an as per situation basis. So after providing some back dates or order numbers, they were able to track down the previous tunes in the backed up system. Phew. Marken performance wanted 1000 bucks for the same tunes Bama updated for free. Steeda in Milton wanted 600 for one tune, and wouldnít say if additional tune changes were also 600, so i am happy Bama Performance honoured my free tunes for life, even though they arenít doing anymore tunes for new F/I applications. So there was some drama getting her done but its all set up with all the tunes corrected to the current gear ratio.

As for how the car drives, it unleashed an all new beast. Shifting with the TR3650 is so might tighter and smoother, and the MGW shifter although very stiff by comparison, its great. Shift goes into gear no fighting for 3rd, and all around its great to drive. Im still relearning the newly flashed tune, I havenít let her out yet. I did on the old tune, and she breaks loose and changes the way the whole rear end reacts to driving. As for RPM, at 2100 in 5th, im doing 100. On the old 3:31 i could do 100 in 5th at around 1900-2000. So i think the gear change wont make a huge difference in fuel mileage, though there will be a slight increase.

So all in all, it was a process, 3 weeks in the shop, mostly tracking down parts, and making shipping arrangements, plus a week of tuning hassle and a little bit more dough than i wanted to part with but in my opinion, definitely worth it so far. The 3:73ís wake up the car, the LSD produces squak from both tires, and is much louder and longer. The transmission glides into 3rd, always, and the only issue is clutch out 2nd gear coasting. Around 40 km, its whines for just a second or two until I accelerate or decelerate, plus or minus 5 kms. Roughly. Im using Ford factory fluids, until i can recoup the losses from doing the swap. David was a pleasure to work with at shaftmasters, and had my parts in 3 days, with the proper yokes already installed. Awesome. So glad the T5 exploded, and i would really recommend getting this upgrade if your F/I. It makes the car so much easier to drive, first gear is a little taller, and more useful. I can drive in the city in 4th without chugging or jerking. Other gears feel a little taller also but itís noticeable in 1st. Very noticeable. The taller gear set in the rear end, and differences in the transmission, it just seems to work with the X. I never thought my car would drive that firm, smooth, and accurately.

Really pleased so a special thank you to the wonderful folks here on the collective, second to my vendors, Western Power train for the sweet new transmission, David at shaftmasters for his prompt and awesome service and help, The boys at Corey auto wreckers for the rear end, proserve automotive for doing the work, thanks Steve, Bama Performance for taking care of tuning issues, Gaylon, for his well designed adaptor plate, and the folks at MGW for making sure i got the style of shifter i was looking for. All in all a costly but awesome experience and totally worth the investment in this little 4.0. Sheís hella furious now!!!

Thanks everyone!

giddy up

Last edited by grabber orange fury; 5 Days Ago at 08:29 PM.

JimC (5 Days Ago), roddy (5 Days Ago)
Old
  (#10)
roddy
Collective Spokes Person
roddy has a spectacular aura about them, when thier drunk and wasted.

5 Days Ago

Glad you like it. A better gear spread makes the car so much more enjoyable to drive.

no man with a good car needs to be justified...

The Following User Says Thank You to roddy For This Useful Post:
grabber orange fury (5 Days Ago)