Go Back   The Mustang Collective Forums > Mustang Tech > NewEdge 4.6L Tech

got a 4.6 4v for my roller what goodies should i add?
Old
  (#1)
malachaihuffman
15-Second Member
malachaihuffman is working on being a goody goody.

got a 4.6 4v for my roller what goodies should i add? - 09-28-2012

i got a 01 roller on corba wheels for 1k from a friend and i got a compleat 93 4.6 4v out of a linc. with the auto tranny for 400 from another friend the only problem i see as of now is i will have to extend to motors harness to reach the pass side of the car cuz its on the driver side of the motor and i know i will have to re wire the injectors.. anything else?

i plan on doing a fully forged motor as i plan on running boost and i know the motor doesnt even have a forged crank :/ anyone run a boosted stroker? any input?

what would the limit of that block be? from a couple things i have read it is 1000hp and correct me if im wrong but i dont see that being even slightly possible..

im looking for around a 600hp street car but im not rolling in cash im not looking to have someone talk trash just usefull info

Old
  (#2)
rampant racing
FULL OF NOT SO HOT AIR
rampant racing is a glorious beacon of light, or more like a strobe light when you got a migrane.rampant racing is a glorious beacon of light, or more like a strobe light when you got a migrane.rampant racing is a glorious beacon of light, or more like a strobe light when you got a migrane.rampant racing is a glorious beacon of light, or more like a strobe light when you got a migrane.

09-28-2012

you won't find too much trash talk on this site.it is frowned upon by most of the members here.i am sure some knowledgable people will chime in on the subject.and welcome to the collective.

2008 pony, candy red,8.8 with 4.10's/tloc,,sctx3 tuner,MT28X11.5X15 STREET ET SLICKS
custom 2" stainless headers & duals with gt takeoff muffs,lakewood upper & umi lower control arms and panhard bar,shaftmasters aluminum driveshaft, vortech v3 blower with air to air intercooler running 16psi, COOLINGMIST METH INJECTION KIT. ported n polished heads with custom manley stainless steel valves. manley rods and pistons. new motor combo is not yet dyno tuned. new best time is 12.46 at 110.66mph but the limiter was set for 110 mph lol.

Old
  (#3)
TexasBlownV8
Formerly: TexasBlownV6
TexasBlownV8 is just really nice, in an annoying Ryan Seacrest sort of way.TexasBlownV8 is just really nice, in an annoying Ryan Seacrest sort of way.TexasBlownV8 is just really nice, in an annoying Ryan Seacrest sort of way.

09-28-2012

The block is good and strong and will handle the power; just, other parts in it cant (nor can the trans). The crank is your weaker component as are the standard rods/pistons.
As far as stroking, I'd suggest instead, boring oversize or keeping the same size, and stock stroke, especially with a blower in its future.

Sounds like a nice little project

Mike - Three turbos, two Mustangs...do the math.

"Sally", The Beast: 2005, 5.0L V8 stroker, forged/cammed, twin-turbos; 4r70W full-auto trans, CircleD converter; Shaftmasters driveshaft; GT500 8.8 w/3.73's; VEI digital gauges, PLX widebands; full suspension.

(Formerly a V6 Automatic with Vortech SQ supercharger & custom a/a intercooler -- 310 RWHP, w/best 1/4: 12.79 @ 107)

2006 4.0L V6 with PowerHouse Turbo, TR6060.

It's not just racing...it's an obsession.
"The brawl inspires many, but few acheive greatness"; "Poop happens" - JujuFox

Old
  (#4)
malachaihuffman
15-Second Member

09-28-2012

i was kinda thinkin just keeping the stand. stroke but i know i will have to go full forged. lets say full forged 4v what would be a safe bost number 16-18? i think in the range i would be near 500? and i plan on selling that tranny(or scrapping) and going with a turbo 400 or a 5 or 6 speed i just got it cuz he said it was a package deal only. and i couldnt pass up 400 bucks for a low milage 4v that i seen run strong multiple times even though its that old

Old
  (#5)
malachaihuffman
15-Second Member

09-28-2012

and it will be a fun little project im only 20 so it will take a little while to get it together and yes i know thats a lot of power for a 20 year old kid but i know how to handle it lol

Old
  (#6)
TexasBlownV8
Formerly: TexasBlownV6
TexasBlownV8 is just really nice, in an annoying Ryan Seacrest sort of way.TexasBlownV8 is just really nice, in an annoying Ryan Seacrest sort of way.TexasBlownV8 is just really nice, in an annoying Ryan Seacrest sort of way.

09-28-2012

16-18 psi will get you quite a bit over 500, if that's your goal.
There's quite a few people I know running that same block in 3V applications, and making well over 600 hp.

Mike - Three turbos, two Mustangs...do the math.

"Sally", The Beast: 2005, 5.0L V8 stroker, forged/cammed, twin-turbos; 4r70W full-auto trans, CircleD converter; Shaftmasters driveshaft; GT500 8.8 w/3.73's; VEI digital gauges, PLX widebands; full suspension.

(Formerly a V6 Automatic with Vortech SQ supercharger & custom a/a intercooler -- 310 RWHP, w/best 1/4: 12.79 @ 107)

2006 4.0L V6 with PowerHouse Turbo, TR6060.

It's not just racing...it's an obsession.
"The brawl inspires many, but few acheive greatness"; "Poop happens" - JujuFox

Old
  (#7)
malachaihuffman
15-Second Member

09-28-2012

this is the car
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the start.jpg (404.5 KB, 12 views)

Old
  (#8)
malachaihuffman
15-Second Member

09-28-2012

thats what i wanted to hear.. im looking for a weekend toy that i can take to the track yet still have it reliable and on pump gas

Old
  (#9)
malachaihuffman
15-Second Member

09-28-2012

shes a little dirty, been sitting in the back of a shop for a couple years
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4v.jpg (427.2 KB, 11 views)

Old
  (#10)
07mach
14-Second Member
07mach is a total phucktard

09-29-2012

I have installed Lincoln Mark 8 engines into 3 cars that never should have had that engine (one being a Studebaker Avanti) and can give you solid advice, but you have to understand one thing; you may not want to hear what I am saying, but it is the truth as I have lived it.

You have what appears to be a beautiful roller to start with. If it is a v6 car, you can "somewhat" easily convert it to a v8 4.6 sohc if you find a donor car. If it came with a 4.6 stock, you can meet your goals using a 4.6 sohc and save yourself tons of money. Get a solid, running 4.6 sohc with all of the wiring, etc and get it running. Then, add the improvements as you go along.

The Mark 8 has a harness/computer that is completely NOT useable for your chassis. It cannot be adapted or made to fit. You are crossing an OBD-II body and and an earlier engine and the returnless fuel system is not the only problem you will face. You MUST get a 2001-era (99-04) harness and computer for a GT or Cobra, including dash harness, guage panel and steering column (maybe $400-500 from a salvage guy like MPS, but better deals can be found with salvage).

If you insist on using the "B" head Mark engine, you will have to get coil-on-plug valve covers and coils for about $300, buy IMRC-delete plates to get rid of the ridiculous secondary throttle vacuum tube mess (MMR and others sell them for about $250), and most important- you MUST get a 96-98 Cobra intake manifold for about $300 (the Mark T-body position is too far back and hits the firewall, it also makes it extremely difficult to service the IMRC/EGR, etc).

Building a forged shortblock will cost you a bit. I do not think you should go stroker. You can get a used Cobra forged 4.6 crank for $300-400, get it cut and rebalanced for $300 more, or just get a new Cobra crank for $600 and about $100 to rebalance.

You should get Manley H-beams. The generic H-beams are always suspect for blems. The Manley parts will cost you about $500. Used 03/04 Cobra Manley rods will get you for $300 or so, but should be checked for damage due to being beaten hard.

Your forged pistons are application specific. The dished pistons out there will likely run you $500-800. Since you are hoping to boost it, you should get premium rings for another $150 or so. Cutting corners will only lead to regrets.

Boring your Teksid block, align-honing, truing the decks and torque-plate honing will cost you about $600. You should, at your boost level, get ARP main bolts for $200-300 and the need to be installed before the align-hone.

Rebuilding your old-style "B" heads will cost you about $500. You need upgraded valvesprings to handle the boost-push on the intake valves and the mating surface have to be perfect. You will also need ARP studs to replace the junk TTY bolts (another $200). Your safer bet would be to buy a new set of "C" heads (many places on ebay have new heads assembled for $300/pair (then you need a 99-01 Cobra intake for about $300 used). Stock Ford head gaskets will be good, but $100 a pair.

You need improved oiling, like billet oil pump gear and 7 quart pan, so add about $400. You should upgrade your fuel system to the 03/03 Cobra pumps, but even further upgrades are needed when you go over 500hp). Your "custom turbo kit will cost you whatever it costs you, but figure on $1000. Your idea of a tranny swap to GM TH400 will cost you a few thousand. There are PLENTY of people using the 4r70w and making well over 600hp, so don't be afraid to use that Mark 8 trans.