Go Back   The Mustang Collective Forums > Mustang Tech > NewEdge 4.6L Tech

Getting 04 GT
Old
  (#1)
bronxbomba63
10-Second Member
bronxbomba63 is working on being a goody goody.

Getting 04 GT - 09-07-2011

As the title says, I'm getting an 04 GT 5 spd. I'm not familiar with the engine (coming from an 05 V6). I'm starting to read up on the posts about the car....any suggestions as far as mods with the engine?

2005 Mineral Grey V6 Automatic R.I.P.
2004 DSG GT 5-Speed aka "The Stealth Bomber"
SHOW:Kenwood DNX5190|Tinted headlights/taillights/foglights|sequential taillights|6000K Stangmods HID
GO:Steeda short throw|BBK CAI|FRPP 3.73|Borla Stingers|SCT SF3 93 Race Tune[/COLOR]
MANY MORE TO COME!!!!!
  Send a message via Yahoo to bronxbomba63  
Old
  (#2)
El Caballo Corre
Doing more with less....
El Caballo Corre has a spectacular aura about them, when thier drunk and wasted.

09-07-2011

Cold air intake, tune, gears, aftermarket mufflers, (axle back or cat back) and a x-pipe. Depending on how big your mod budget dictates how fast you get everything done. If you have the extra loot to spend I would go for some long tube headers as well. What are you planning on doing with the car is the big question? Road racing, drag racing or just a fun car to enjoy as a daily driver. If you drag racing definitely go with the 4.10's and pick up a set of drag radials while you are at it. If you are road racing I would say go for the 3.73 gears. If you aren't do either you might be happy with the stock gears.

As far as what brands to buy I say do your own research on the internet and get suggestions from fellow Mustang owners. In the end the decision will be yours as to what brand intake, gears, mufflers, and x pipe you purchase. I like JLT cold air intakes and FRPP gears. In regards to mufflers I recommend listening to exhaust clips on youtube until you find the tone you are looking for. Also look at what type of material the mufflers are made out of. I prefer stainless steel over aluminized steel. I like the SSS Adrenaline and SSS Terminators for an 04 GT. You can listen to the exhaust clips at www.partscheap.com or just type the name of the mufflers in the youtube search and listen to the all the SSS exhaust clips.

Here is a youtube link for SSS Terminators on 2003 Mach 1 to give you a general idea of how they sound:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnONaalVT1s

J&M Extreme Joint UCA and LCA's
JLT True Cold Air Intake
Spec 1 clutch
SLP Line Lock
FRPP 4.10 gears
Steeda Short Throw Shifter
SCT Tuner
15" Racestars & MT ET Street Drag Radials (for track)
Glass Roof
Leather Seats
18 inch chrome wheels
SSS Adrenaline Exhaust
Summit X Pipe
Detroit True Track Differential
Tinted windows
mrbodykit window louvers
Shaftmaster 3.5" one piece aluminum driveshaft
GMS Front and rear safety loops
MSD Launch Master 2 step
Che K member brace
Che torque limiters
Che anti squat brackets
Steeda Charge Motion Delete Plugs
Koni single adjustable shocks/struts: THEY WORK!
Prothane Motor Mounts

Personal Best
1/8 mile 8.05 at 85.38 mph
1/4 mile 12.66 at 106.89 1.64 60 ft
El Caballo Corre

Old
  (#3)
garner
Collective Junkie
garner is a total phucktard

09-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Caballo Corre
Cold air intake, tune, gears, aftermarket mufflers, (axle back or cat back) and a x-pipe. Depending on how big your mod budget dictates how fast you get everything done. If you have the extra loot to spend I would go for some long tube headers as well. What are you planning on doing with the car is the big question? Road racing, drag racing or just a fun car to enjoy as a daily driver. If you drag racing definitely go with the 4.10's and pick up a set of drag radials while you are at it. If you are road racing I would say go for the 3.73 gears. If you aren't do either you might be happy with the stock gears.

As far as what brands to buy I say do your own research on the internet and get suggestions from fellow Mustang owners. In the end the decision will be yours as to what brand intake, gears, mufflers, and x pipe you purchase. I like JLT cold air intakes and FRPP gears. In regards to mufflers I recommend listening to exhaust clips on youtube until you find the tone you are looking for. Also look at what type of material the mufflers are made out of. I prefer stainless steel over aluminized steel. I like the SSS Adrenaline and SSS Terminators for an 04 GT. You can listen to the exhaust clips at www.partscheap.com or just type the name of the mufflers in the youtube search and listen to the all the SSS exhaust clips.

Here is a youtube link for SSS Terminators on 2003 Mach 1 to give you a general idea of how they sound:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnONaalVT1s
Like Joe said it's how far you want to get into it. You can do the basic mods like he said, and then you have heads, cams, intake manifold, stroker kit, forced induction, etc.

2014 Mustang 5.0 auto 301A with FP8 package in GHIG
"Troll stang"
  Send a message via Yahoo to garner Send a message via Skype™ to garner 
Old
  (#4)
Downtime!
I'm a Legend In My Lime
Downtime! is just really nice, in an annoying Ryan Seacrest sort of way.Downtime! is just really nice, in an annoying Ryan Seacrest sort of way.Downtime! is just really nice, in an annoying Ryan Seacrest sort of way.

09-08-2011

I've had a couple of them, and overall, I've always liked the body style. My personal take on the car is I never liked the interior (cramped feeling compared to the S197's) and no matter how much money you put in the motor with bolt ons, it will never be very quick (I got high 13's with all the bolt ons on the white car, and barely dipped into the 12's with the Procharger on the blue car). With all that said, getting into the engine with "real" parts (heads, cams, intake, etc) can really wake these years up, so you're really only limited by your checkbook. And there is still no meaner looking Stang than a New Edge sitting on 315's with the right drop.

Old
  (#5)
roddy
Collective Spokes Person
roddy has a spectacular aura about them, when thier drunk and wasted.

09-08-2011

The New Edge cars really respond well to lower gearing. Throw in a set of 4.10s and don't look back. Next to a supercharger, gears will make the biggest difference in how the car feels.

no man with a good car needs to be justified...

Old
  (#6)
bronxbomba63
10-Second Member

09-08-2011

The ride's going to be my daily driver, so I won't be going all out with the mods (I say that now lol). For now, I plan on doing a CAI probably JLT, with long tubes and probably do the same Flowmaster mufflers I had on my sixxer. I really liked the deep tone I had with them after the drone was gone. Because this is going to be my first manual, I'm going to hold off on getting gears until I really feel comfortable with the car, which I believe has stock gears.

I just got back from Iraq, and have been looking for a job with no luck. With that being said, I may have to go back out to the sandbox on another contracting gig. If I do that, then I'll more than likely look into cams/heads and putting a blower in it. If I go with a centri kit, it'll probably be Procharger, but I really want a positive displacement kit. I'll be doing more research as far as which kits are best for these cars. Thanks for your input guys! If anybody has any other ideas, let me know!!

SHOW:Kenwood DNX5190|Tinted headlights/taillights/foglights|sequential taillights|6000K Stangmods HID
GO:Steeda short throw|BBK CAI|FRPP 3.73|Borla Stingers|SCT SF3 93 Race Tune[/COLOR]
MANY MORE TO COME!!!!!
Old
  (#7)
Downtime!
I'm a Legend In My Lime
Downtime! is just really nice, in an annoying Ryan Seacrest sort of way.Downtime! is just really nice, in an annoying Ryan Seacrest sort of way.Downtime! is just really nice, in an annoying Ryan Seacrest sort of way.

09-08-2011

If you supercharged it, do not go with a centri. You will not be happy, trust me. Roots style will provide a much more fun street car.

Old
  (#8)
El Caballo Corre
Doing more with less....
El Caballo Corre has a spectacular aura about them, when thier drunk and wasted.

09-08-2011

I forgot to mention a short throw shifter. Steeda, MGW, and Pro 5.0 all make really good shifters. I have a Steeda in my car and I absolutely love it. Once again this all comes down to personal preference. Most people that I talk to swear by MGW shifters. They are one of the best if not the best shifters on the market.

J&M Extreme Joint UCA and LCA's
JLT True Cold Air Intake
Spec 1 clutch
SLP Line Lock
FRPP 4.10 gears
Steeda Short Throw Shifter
SCT Tuner
15" Racestars & MT ET Street Drag Radials (for track)
Glass Roof
Leather Seats
18 inch chrome wheels
SSS Adrenaline Exhaust
Summit X Pipe
Detroit True Track Differential
Tinted windows
mrbodykit window louvers
Shaftmaster 3.5" one piece aluminum driveshaft
GMS Front and rear safety loops
MSD Launch Master 2 step
Che K member brace
Che torque limiters
Che anti squat brackets
Steeda Charge Motion Delete Plugs
Koni single adjustable shocks/struts: THEY WORK!
Prothane Motor Mounts

Personal Best
1/8 mile 8.05 at 85.38 mph
1/4 mile 12.66 at 106.89 1.64 60 ft
El Caballo Corre

Old
  (#9)
Mwood
The Collective is a way of life!!!
Mwood will become famous when the world comes to an end.

09-08-2011

I've just gotta ask why? I can't imagine you're going to be happy going from an S 197 to a New Edge, I've met you and you're not a small guy. Like Bryan said, the interior is cramped and not that well laid out. Did you already sell your sixer? I think you can spend less on FI on your 6 and it will be faster than equal mods on the NE. Just my 2 cents, and I never did like the New Edge (or the SN95 or Fox for that matter) so I'm a bit biased.

Old
  (#10)
bronxbomba63
10-Second Member

09-08-2011

Nope...didn't sell it....my soon to be ex decided to take both my sixxer and expedition somewhere up in michigan when i told her i was divorcing here while i was still in Iraq. And wiped out my bank account, so as it stands I don't have enough for another S197, but I also like the New Edge stangs.

MANY MORE TO COME!!!!!